Instagram Video Ad Specs – Guide for Dummies
Instagram advertising is available to businesses of all sizes and niches. It is a good way to grow brand exposure and increase customer base through visuals. One of the most effective ad formats on any social platform is the single video ad, and this is also valid on Instagram. For businesses just starting out with social advertising, we put together a short guide including all they need to know about Instagram video ad specs.
Why are video ads more effective?
Statistics show that online shoppers are avid consumers of online video. One-third of them will actually purchase a product after viewing a video ad. That is why a quarter of all Instagram ads are single videos.
Video ads are great for informing and educating because they convey messaged through both audio and visual elements. They are very effective for product demonstrations as potential clients can actually see what a product does or how it works. The chances of converting sales for a product increase by up to 35% if the item’s description includes a video ad.
Moreover, people who find a video ad interesting tend to share it with their followers on social media, thus increasing its visibility further. And the emotional impact of video ads is greater than image ads. They are more engaging and are able to tell your story better than other formats, appealing to people’s emotions.
Instagram video ad specs
Updates, constant changes, new feature releases mean that the requirements for video ads are also changing regularly. To make sure they stay on top of their video strategy, businesses and brands must ensure they are using the correct Instagram video ad specs.
General design recommendations are similar to those for Facebook video ads and include:
- the highest-resolution source video available without letter or pillar boxing
- 264 compression, square pixels, fixed frame rate, stereo AAC audio compression at 128+ kbps
- Video file size: 4 GB max.
- Video length: 1 to 60 seconds
- Text: two rows of text will be displayed.
- 20% text rule still applies, so thumbnail images that consist of more text may experience reduced delivery.
Other technical recommended Instagram video ad specs include:
- Minimum video width in pixels: 500
- Maximum number of hashtags in text: 30
- Maximum video duration in seconds: 60
- Aspect ratio tolerance: 1%
- Lower Minimum Width in Pixels: 500
- Minimum video ratio : 4:5
- Maximum video ratio : 1.91:1
- Maximum text length: 2200
However, there are several different types of video ads you can post to Instagram. They are landscape video ad, square video ad, vertical video ad, stories video ad, and carousel video ad. Below you can find the specifications for each of them.
Instagram landscape video ad
This kind of video ad serves best for scenic purposes. Landscape videos have the special ability to show the entire scene. This style of video is ideal for advertisers that want to provide users comprehensive glimpses into their world as it permits a cinematic approach. Instagram video ad specs for this type of ad include:
- Recommended video formats: MP4 and MOV
- Resolution: 600 x 315 pixels (minimum)
- Recommended aspect ratio is 1:91:1
- Max video size for all formats is 4GB
- Max video length for all formats: 60 seconds
- Video max frames: 30fps for all formats.
How To Get More Followers On Instagram In 2019?
07 Must-Have Steps You Should Follow Regarding Creation Of Best Social Media Strategy.
How to Create Instagram Ads?
How to Uncover Dropshipping Competitor Ads On Facebook And Instagram?
Instagram square video ad
Recommended specs for square video ads are not much different compared to the above requirements. Advertisers need to check how the call-to-action, text and other elements appear on a mobile device. There is the risk to crop something important if you don’t pay attention to these aspects.
Resolution for square video ad is 600 x 600 pixels (minimum), while the proper aspect ratio you should use is 1:1.
Instagram vertical video ad
Considering the vertical format is most likely the preset setting when you record a video on the social app or upload one, this is the most popular kind of video ad. That’s why the specs do not change much, besides the resolution and overall aspect ratio. Video format, size and length remain the same. Make sure you use a vertical video with a minimum resolution of 600 x 750 pixels and an aspect ratio of 4:5.
Instagram stories video ad
It seems that since the Stories feature has been added, the time spent on Instagram by users increased by nearly 28 minutes, which is huge, so we couldn’t disregard this part. The recommended specs for Stories video ads are as follows:
- Recommended resolution 1080 x 1920 pixels
- Aspect ratio: 9:16
- All formats should be either MP4 or MOV
- Max video size is 4GB
- Must have a resolution minimum of 720p.
Also, it’s essential for your video to convey the right message through the visual part. Almost 70% of Instagram Stories videos are watched without sound.
Instagram carousel video ad
This type of ad format is the newest addition to Instagram advertising. It allows businesses to showcase multiple products or services in one single ad, through images or videos. Instagram video ad specs for carousel ads include:
- Recommended resolution: 600 x 600 pixels minimum (1080 x 1080 pixels maximum)
- The proper aspect ratio is 1:1
- Advertisers can use 2-10 videos per ad
- All formats should be MP4
- Max video size is 4GB per video/card
- Max video length for is 60 seconds.
An important thing to keep in mind when creating Instagram carousel video ads is to use a thumbnail image. It has to match the 1:1 video aspect ratio.
So there you have it. If you were struggling to create great ads to drive engagement with your business, make sure your videos follow the recommended Instagram video ad specs, are unique and catchy, and you have the recipe for success up your sleeve.